Fire Prevention Week is October 6-12
Not Every hero wears a cape. PLAN and PRACTICE your ESCAPE.
Use the 2019 Fire Prevention Week theme to launch all your community’s fire safety education programs this fall.
FNESS is encouraging fire departments, schools and their communities to plan educational activities for their students, families and community residents. By working together, everyone can help spread this life saving information to every part of their communities.
Here are some Fire Prevention Week ideas:
- Schedule Fire Department visits to classrooms. Check out the lesson plans.
- Promote the use of the “Fire Safety Starts with You” booklet activities in your school and youth programs. These booklets are for Preschool to Grade 3 students and will be mailed to your school by the end of September.
- Plan a school fire drill during Fire Prevention Week. Use the School Fire Drill Checklist and share the results with the school staff.
- Put fire safety on the agency at community dinner. You can choose from lots of great videos that teach adults how to make fire safety a priority in their own homes. Contact FNESS for resource material for your community events.
- Add fire safety information to your upcoming community newsletters, social media and website updates.
- Check out the National Fire Protection Association website https://www.nfpa.org/fpw . The NFPA is a great resource for free and easy to use materials for your community programs.
New this year! FNESS has teamed up with other fire prevention organizations to encourage more BC schools and their students to participate in Fire Prevention Week 2019. Your students can create a fire safety poster or a video. Entries received by October 25 are entered into the following contests based on grade level:
- CONTEST 1 is for Kindergarten to Grade 7 students in every school in BC
- CONTEST 2 is our annual FNESS CONTEST for Preschool to Grade 12 students in every First Nation school in BC.
- CONTEST 3 is the annual Canada-wide AFAC CONTEST for Preschool to Grade 12 students in every First Nation school in Canada.
FNESS is pleased to work with the following agencies on the Fire Prevention Week 2019 Contest and programs:
- Fire Prevention Officers’ of BC
- Fire Chiefs' Association of BC
- BC Fire Training Officers Association
- BC Office of the Fire Commissioner
- BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund
- Aboriginal Firefighters’ Association of Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Hold a community-wide Smoke Alarm testing event! Contact FNESS about installing 10-year, battery-operated combination smoke and CO alarms in every home in your community.
- Plan an information session on the safe use of fire extinguishers in homes. Contact FNESS about our on-going kitchen fire extinguisher program.
- Kitchen fires are the #1 type of fire in Canada. Remind people about safe cooking!
The Province of BC has many resources for Fire Prevention Education. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/fire-safety/public-education
FNESS has the following Fire Prevention Week resources for fire departments, schools and communities.
- Fire Prevent Week School Kit
- “Fire Safety Starts with You” booklet and lesson plans
- Fire Prevention Week 2019 Contest information and entry forms
- School Fire Drill Checklist